Labour hire can fill virtually any position in an organisation – from positions that require minimal to no skills, to those that require highly specialised skill sets. It’s this capacity to provide a variety of skills in a short span that has made labour hire arrangements quite popular among businesses enabling them to keep a lean workforce without facing the problems of being understaffed during peak seasons.
The flexibility offered by labour hire has seen this type of labour arrangement morph from a service for finding temps for short-term cover to an invaluable tool for keeping operating costs low.
For many companies, the benefits of using labour hire are huge. The biggest of which is a reduced cost for hiring labour. Some of the other benefits include reduced recruitment lead times, availability of specliased skills and the overall flexibility of the workforce.
All this is well and good for the business, but does your workforce benefit when you use labour hire? The answer is yes. Your permanent staff will also get a number of benefits when you choose to use labour hire to bolster your workforce. Here’re some of the benefits your staff will get when you use labour hire:
- Exposure. While the majority of your employees have worked in a limited number of organisations (or no other) before moving to yours, most on-hired employees have worked for tens of companies during their careers. The constant shifting exposes them to different company cultures as well as different ways of doing things. By interacting with your staff, on-hired employees could provide enlightenment that can help your employees improve their performance and advance their careers.
- No overworking. When you’re understaffed, the people who are going to feel it the most are your employees who will have to take on extra work just to keep things moving along. This will lead to your employees becoming overworked which will cause increased stress in the workforce, increased absenteeism and resentment that could cause an increase in employee turnover. Labour hire helps you avoid this kind of situation by enabling you to adjust your workforce to match the current labour requirements.
- Better work-life balance. When you use labour hire, you can eliminate overtime and give your permanent employees more flexible work hours. This gives your employees more time to focus on other aspects of their life outside of work which results in a better work-life balance for them. The cover provided by on-hired employees enables your staff to have holidays and weekends off so that they can catch up on their hobbies or spend time with their loved ones. This motivates them, keeps them engaged and loyal.
- Career advancement opportunities. For employees that want to add to their skillsets, labour hire can be extremely useful as it would enable them to take an extended break from work to attend school. The on-hired employee will take on their responsibilities as they add on to their skills and then leave once they are done with school.
- Morale boost. Temps come into the company ready and eager to work. This can rub onto your employees increasing the morale of your workforce for improved productivity. By introducing an on-hired employee who’s highly active, your employees could get inspiration and follow suit.
From the above list, it’s evident that labour hire is not only beneficial to your business but to your workforce as well. So next time you’re looking to hire, give labour hire a consideration.
← Return to Blog